• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Looking for help with nightmares.

navyperfume

Greenlighter
Am I in the right site for help? Is there anyone else in here that suffers from dream paralysis?
I am now at the end of my rope (so to speak) You call it lucid dreaming but I call it a hag. I have been having these experiences since i have been 11 years old. I am now 48. To me, I dont believe that I am dreaming. I have these experiences every 2 months but the last 2 times have been different because I have just learned to accept what is happening to me.
Last night when I went to bed and I normally sleep on my side, I heard my son say "night Mom" then i rolled over. I could feel something crawl in the bed with me and in my head I am saying, "Oh no". Whatever or whoever has been doing this all of my life and I know that it will never go away. It is a part of who I am. I make sure that I do not eat 2 hrs b4 bedtime and I wll not sleep on my back. This has been happening to me for 37 years now and I cannot figure out what brings it on. I am at the point now, where I need to see or talk to someone about this. I know it is a male and it is not of this world. He latched right on to my back and wraps his leg around both og my legs tightly. He brings his arm around my neck and whispers in my ear " dont pray". To pray always brings me out of it and it is like he knows this. This is the first time that i came forward to tell my story in the hopes that someone else is going through this. He always hurts me in some way, by biting my ear or my back and last night, it was his nails. He asked me to touch him and I automatically did without even thinking about. His skin was dry, dry like a lizard, and his fingers were very long with long nails. He keep digging his nails in to me andI told him to stop and this caused him to go to the end of the bed cause I could feel his weight on the bed. He left and I woke, smoked to cigs ( like I always do when it happens), to make sure he wouldnt come back. So, sounds like I am crazy but I am not. Just crazy about every 2 months and at night. And he will be back....

NMI ------> Healthy Living?

Mods, please move to where you think would be more appropriate if so :)

if you use the search engine here and search for sleep paralysis lucid dreaming, you'll come up with a dozen or more pages of threads that mention SP.
you are by no means alone. sleep paralysis has plagued humans for many centuries. there's a painting called "the nightmare" which was painted by fuseli in the 18th century. there's lots of folk mythology about "the hag" as well as tales about incubus and succubus who come to sex you up in the night.
sleep paralysis is absolutely terrifying but once you realize that your brain is just messing with you and thhat no attack will happen it's easier to deal w/ the fear and anxiety.
i try to move my feet or yell to jolt me out of the nightmare. SP is more common if you sleep on your back, are sleep deprived, if you have a seizure disorder, and some substances tend to bring them on for some people.
i had serious trouble for years cuz of weird sleep patterns from working 7pm-7am and maybe some bad habits ;) once i figured out how to get out of them by yelling or moving i rarely if ever have them anymore.
best of luck to you. you most certainly are not alone.
-izzy